Monday, June 28, 2010

My top 5 recommendation (if I had to)


Once again because i can barely limit myself to 5 let alone classify them they are in no particular order.







1. Aitutaki, Cook Islands. A beautiful island in the South Pacific. We visited after a recent hurricane, and while the devastation was heart breaking the way the people got on with their lives and made sure their neighbours were ok really lightened my heart. DH is Cook Islander so maybe I'm biased, but I think you would truly struggle to find a more beautiful location in the world. Oh, and make sure you try the raw marinated fish, Ika Mata.












2. Singapore. My favourite stop over city, the gateway between Australia and Asia and Australia and Europe. Who can pass up the Chili Crab, a night visit to the zoo or a ride on the MRT. A clean and safe city that is a great first trip into Asia.















3. Sarajevo, Bosnia Herzegovina. I didn't know what to expect of this city, but I was completely taken back by it. It's a little bit of the east, with a little bit of the west. The food is awesome, try some cevapcici (sausages) with Avjar (red pepper paste) and Sopska salad. Wind your way through the city in both day and night to get the contrast with the lights on. Enjoy some sweets of helva and baklava (starting to see a trend?). Once in Sarajevo take a day trip to Mostar.










4. San Antonio, Texas, USA. One of those locations where the food got me, that wonderful boarder town flavour that's hard to find in most American/Mexican restaurants around the country. The atmosphere and the blending of cultures and times are also big draw cards for this city.












5. Great Barrier Reef, Queensland, Australia. They always say you put off those places in your own backyard and I still can't believe that I put off the Great Barrier Reef for so long, but our day trip out their was amazing and I've been told that you can go overnight and these are even more spectacular. Even though sections are showing signs of too much human interaction, the underwater beauty is still stunningly so.


















This was a struggle, maybe next time I'll have to classify my top 5 by area or "genre" e.g. favourite cities, most unexpected, favourite Islands, favourite outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment